Monday, March 21, 2011

날 닮은 코끼리

" Stop judging and you will not be judged "

I don't think I've ever had a relationship that is this difficult.
In his presence, I shrug, I freeze, and I stutter.
This is how our relationship is--my professor and me.

I guess reaching (and maintaining) a comfort level with a boss is every employee's/trainee's struggle, and maybe a feasible level of ice is required for optimal degree of performance. But nonetheless, I realized today that bosses are not all that cold-blooded. (gasp!)

It was about time to talk.
Lately I've been feeling that there is a misunderstanding between him and me (in terms of what my priority is in lab) and I had to clear everything up. I had three bullet points that outline my conversation with him, and printed what I've written to show him, just so that I don't miss things out of nervousness. My steps toward his door made me feel like I am going in a battle. Scared but adamant, I dare interrupted him in the middle of his guitar practice and asked very naively, " Do you have time to just......chat? :)"

A 40-something minute conversation fastforwarded and shortened:
my time with him was very successful. For the first time since I started the masters program, I got to talk to him about my future plans and what he visions for me-- heart to heart. He shared with me his previous experiences and lessons he learned from them and to my surprise, was already applying his strategies on teaching me. They are rather harsh, I'd say, but I am beginning to understand him more. And I am thankful for that.

I guess that Bible verse stood amongst all the other because of the word "judge."
We often judge and fear others beforehand without giving enough effort to read their inner thoughts. I didn't have to be so nervous if I knew that today's meeting would turn out to be a mentor-mentee meeting...and not that of a boss-employee's :)

1 comment: