Tuesday, March 22, 2011

"All their works are performed to be seen."

I can relate to today's reading very deeply and hurtfully (or "heart"fully). My recent biggest energy expenditure has been in showing what I have in me: my enthusiasm, my talent, my potentials...really anything that may decorate Hyun well enough to look outstanding.

Up until this point, there was no second thought in choosing what I enjoy versus what might look pleasing to the others. I could care less about the latter. Luckily, many of the things I enjoyed were greatly looked upon by others too, and this fortuitous coincidence has gotten me well throughout my academia and my career. I loved studying what I was supposed to study and enjoyed assisting research for my own curiosity.

In my current job, however, my priority was on producing outcomes that well reflect my effort and potential. My work had to be tangible and recognized by others--namely, my advisors and professors--with the enjoyment factor aside. By doing so, it was very easy to lose my sense of direction. I was asking who I had to please.

I realize more and more these days that I can "show" the best when I am actually enjoying the act itself. That is, the highest productivity level follows when we are engaged in our own passion. Then, we won't have to show. They will just "know". 촉촉한 눈망울로 "가슴이 뛰는 일을 하여라" 라고 말씀하시던 한비야 언니가 생각난다 :)

No comments:

Post a Comment