Friday, April 8, 2011

wherefore art thou, romeo

" I know him, because I am from him, and he sent me"


1.
When we meet someone for the first time, we like to ask,
"where are you from?"

That's particularly a difficult and complicated question for me, because I don't know where to begin. "Well, I was born in Korea but went through middle school and high school near L.A. But wait, let me tell you that I spent the most wonderful time in this San Diego during my undergraduate years. By the way, have you been to Boston? 'Cause I was just there until last summer! Sorry, did you want to know where I am coming from right at this moment? Oh, in that case--Seoul"

Such a great conversation starter :). Perfect appetizer for a delicious talk.

2.
It's much easier to predict when you know where it all started.

Similarly, you can get much information about a person when you know what background and culture they are coming from. (Don't be mistaken--I am not supporting stereotypes here).

3.
Now to the core question:
where are we from?
where are we directed?

If we can answer the first question, then the answer to the second question is given. automatic. impromptu.

4.
Gauguin asked the same question too.

Titled Where Do We Come from? What Are We? Where Are We Going?

No comments:

Post a Comment