Monday, August 23, 2010

arigato mr.roboto

Against all skepticism,
against all concerns,
I'm actually adjusting well to this new Korean-career-lady-life.

Remember the EAC from Finding Nemo?
That stands for the East Australian Current, which is the freeway equivalent in the turtle world. Turtles join--or rather "ride"--the current, and once they are in, their limbs are autonomous, succumbing to the flow of everyone.

I feel like I am in the EAC nowadays.

My circadian system is so robotic in that I wake up at 6am, get on the subway by 6:45, walk through the hospital lobby at 7:50, and finally put on my labcoat at 8.
Is that all? Nooo..I am one of those Koreans who:
1. have reached the mastery of taking a nap on the subway (waking up right at the station before mine...is even artful)
2. meet up girlfriends at pretty little "caffes" and order$7 Americano just to use their small little, air-conditioned acre of land for 3 hours.
3. have at least one drama that they are up-to-date with. In my case, it is 인생은 아름다워.
4. search through a Samsung smart phone to search for all kinds of nearby restaurants and movie theaters and decide at last to just go into another "caffe" to start a new topic on an endless talk.
5. get out of office right when the clock hits noon and join yet another stream of EAC to go eat lunch at a cafeteria. We all skillfully take out our "admission card," scan it, and get our own plate. *note: I eat at the hospital cafeteria, which offers only pretty good (but unanimous) Korean food for ~$1.50.
6. drink coffee mix that has coffee to artificial cream ratio of 2:8 and get more sugar high than caffeine high.
7. who sees the Han River (한강) shortly after the sun rises and sees it again when the lights near it are beautifully being lit up.

There are many more...
Still, I am yet to be fully Koreanized.
But the funny thing is that everything just feels so natural,
as if I've never left this country.
Maybe I used the word "robotic" earlier in the realm of my consciousness, because it's almost as if I was programmed to fit right back into this Korean life. Maybe I was Korean (gasp! is that a surprise?)

Whatever. It's too early to come up with a conclusion. All that matters tonight, right at this moment, is that I am doing pretty darn well and I am ready to pass out in bed.

peace-oO0

4 comments:

  1. Anyone told you write beautifully before?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Beautifully"?No...

    "Uniquely"? heard that before.
    Havent reached the beautiful point yet.=]

    ReplyDelete
  3. 현아, 바쁘게 사는 와중에도 항상 웃음을 잊지 않고 즐겁게 사는 네 모습을 그려본다. 한국에 와서 벌써 job도 구하고 축하해~! 난 내일모레면 다시 돌아가는데,,이제 미국으로 돌아가지 않고 한국에 아예 온거야? 어딜가든 사랑받는 아이니까 어느 자리에 있건 잘 해내리라...!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 모니카 언니~~ hiiii!!! how r u??
    우왕~ 언니 이제 한국에서 취직한거예요?? :)
    잘 됬다!! 다양한 경험 다 해보구, 너무 좋네요^^
    언니 블로그 오는거 항상 너무 즐거워요, 글도 너무 재밌고 제 생각과 비슷하다 느낄때가 참 많아서요~

    언니, 우연히 여기저기 일자리 알아보다가 Framingham Heart Study에 대해 알게 됬는데요, 혹시 이거 언니가 하던건가요??
    언니 나 이거 너무너무너무너무너무 하고 싶어용!!!!!
    Could u please contact me to talk about this?
    flora613@gmail.com
    언니도 정말 하고 싶어 하다가 됬던것 같은데 제 느낌 아시죠? ㅋㅋㅋ 연락 기다릴께요!! 히히 :) -민선이

    ReplyDelete