Saturday, January 9, 2010

What does Tiger know

One of the most recent polemics has been about Tiger Woods and the damage done to his image of elegance, success, and inspiration. I am also extremely disappointed and regretful about his scandal engraved like a scarlet letter on his role-model figure. However, what troubles me more was a discussion I heard on the radio yesterday. The discussion, with its topic being "Does Tiger's religion teach Redemption?"

One fervent commentator for this broadcast says no.



Tiger being a Buddhist was already a wide-known fact, because anything but Christianity is worth noting in this country. This discussion was clearly feeding the interest of the audience who are eager to relate (blame) Tiger's religion to his extramarital affair. (Because the commentator later concluded the discussion with how proud he was for being Christian and how if Tiger were a Christian also, he would have taken this misdeed and the aftermath more cautiously and regretfully.
..like adultery is not a sin in Buddhism?

This guy on the radio (whom I do not know the name of, luck guy) explains that while Christianity exhibits the importance of what you do after sin is committed, one cannot seek or be granted forgiveness from Buddhism. The reason being, the latter focuses more on cleansing from self-meditation. But my question is, how does this make us have the assumption that this meditation practice doesn't provide one's pursuit of redemption?

What is redemption anyways?
Redemption, by definition, can be something as simple as being sorry for the action one has committed and "making up" for the wound caused to that person and his/her community. The pithy element was seeking redemption is as simple as feeling sorry for what you one has done. That's how I see it. Of course, I can't fathom how regretful Tiger is, nor am I an expert on Buddhistic philosophy, but to ascribing too much analysis to bridge Buddhism and Tiger's affair, I think, is rather bold and arrogant. Even as a Christian and an admirer of meditative practices, I believe that cleansing one's mind through regurgitative thought feedback loops (pretty much what meditation is) is a good reflection of "redemptive action" and I believe finding negotiation with inner moral debate can be sometimes even more effective than asking somebody for forgiveness. Whatever works for you, you do. So no gung ho correct or incorrect way for damage control.

2 comments:

  1. Food for thought. Even atheists/agnostics have sense of right/wrong. They do seek for redemption as well.
    The radio commentator is fundamentally wrong in that religion is the sole reason why people should feel guilty.
    I was an agnostic(and to some extent still am) but I always had sense of what is right/wrong to guide me okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Redemption doesn't have to be "granted" by a superpower. I am afraid that, even as Christians or anyone who believes in existence of God, people start to believe in CHURCH, not GOD.

    ReplyDelete