Thursday, December 30, 2010

Bestsellers

나에게는 유행은 피하고 베스트셀러는 칭찬하지 않는 이상한 습성이 있다.

Ask me what my "favorite" of any kind is, and you probably won't hear anything in vogue or hot. In my world, trend is something to be avoided, and likewise, singularity is something to be pursued and digged for.
I value individualism.
and worship eccentricity.

Just in case you didn't get it (though it is very not likely), let me say the same theme with a bit of a twist in dimension--I don't like anything typical.
I am sure there is my natural penchant involved, but [psychologically] there is part of illogical and inexplicable sense of pride taking part in this characteristic. 어떤 몹쓸 자존감 ?

어쨋든 amidst wide wide bookstores, I practice no-book-gets-left-behind poicy on the bestseller section, and open the first page of the reading just to make sure that I don't miss out on what my society is getting into. But this despicable me doesn't advertise for the bestsellers because by doing so, I become a follower of the main, the common stream.

But you know, I ended last year with the epitome of inspirational book (The Secret by Rhonda Byrne) and am ending this year with yet another bestseller of that kind (The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch). Their words approach to my soul very strongly, as it has done to gazillions of people. I am moved by what shook the rest of the world, and I succumb to the fact that I am one of them.

This also reminds me: we often say we don't like cliches. Old-fashioned. Overused. 식상하다며.
But cliches will never disappear, as long as human beings share same emotions and deal with similar dilemmas. Ultimately, we all relate to same lessons (e.g., "everything is going to be alright in the end"). Those connections are what make us humans and what becomes a basement for friendship.

그래서 여기서 고백하건데,
다른 사람들이 좋아하는건 나도 좋다 ☞☜

Thus, here I openly recommend the bestsellers.
Read The Last Lecture.


Read The Alchemist.
Read The Little Prince. Please.


(oh, and listen to the Beatles)


Dang it...what a predictable girl I am!

4 comments:

  1. did it all. does that make me mainstream?

    ReplyDelete
  2. you wish!
    you are wayyyyyy overboard to be considered a mainstream.hahaa

    these books are what i recommend GENERALLY. to the mainstream. some of my other favorites are a bit too biased for general popularity +_+

    oh, and the beatles too? did you do THAT?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i bet you were also thinking about
    시크릿가든
    secretly,
    in your head. X)

    ReplyDelete